Friday, August 09, 2019

RAS Portrait Course Week 1

RAS Portrait Course, Week 1,  started with a little uncertainty, phone calls had not been returned... I was not sure that it really was going ahead, how many might be there? what to bring? and what about a sitter?
My plan was to start with short, 3 minute head studies which I think would be a really good way to warm up and  focus on the structure of the head and not details and with a variety of angles you don't get in a conventional sitting, follow up with a longer drawing and then do a painting for the rest of the session.
When I arrived, Christine who oversees the RAS there said that a model hadn't been arranged, but she managed to grab a member of another group who was just leaving... who could only stay for half the session.
Not quite as I had hoped but we still did manage, short sketches, a longer sketch and a short painting... and I sat for a study for the rest of the session. Not very many in the class but hopefully it will pick up. This week we used oils, but there was a consensus to give watercolours a try next time.


No comments: