Thursday, June 10, 2021

Visit to AGNSW

I decided to travel in to Sydney to see this year's Archibald Prize exhibition at the AGNSW. I think the winning portrait of 'Guy warren at 100' by Peter Wegner was a good portrait and was  more than just an image, and there were a number of other fine portraits too.

I did find the accompanying exhibition of '100 years of the Archibald' a much more interesting and rewarding experience. I didn't spend much time with the other two exhibitions.

The visit to the Gallery was a bit of a nostalgic experience as I couldnt help being reiminded as I walked up to it that it was 60 years this year that our ship arrived in Sydney on route to Brisbane and, berthed at Wolloomooloo. As a young boy I walked up the grassy hill above the ship and was thrilled to discover the Art Gallery of NSW! There is a view from a Gallery Window of the area where the ship berthed though it is a little obscured now.

the Painting of 'The Queen of Sheba to King Solomon' by Edward Poynter made a huge impression on me as the painting that hit you  in the eye as you walked in, now in a different location.

 
 and amother painting that sticks in my mind from that visit and is always there to see is the one by James Tissot
The AGNSW is full of wonderful paintings and a great place to visit!

 

No comments: